By Henry Buchwald MD PhD, George S. M. Cowan Jr. MD, Walter J. Pories MD
Leaders within the box current contemporary such a lot entire assurance of bariatric surgical procedure, probably the most promising present remedies for the transforming into international epidemic of obese and weight problems. This fresh source starts with a via exam of the heritage, prevalence, demography, etiology, biology, comorbidities, sturdiness, and social and fiscal implications of weight problems. It then discusses pre-, peri-, and postoperative problems with significance earlier than reading the evolution of bariatric strategies. person chapters current the simplest surgical ways, their results, and different concerns serious about this surgical approach.
- Presents a finished evaluation of the whole box of bariatric surgical procedure, in addition to a vast dialogue of severe non-operative topics.
- Discusses the evolution of bariatric systems, by way of person chapters that study laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding, vertical banded gastroplasty, the banded gastric pass, and different surgical methods.
- Reviews the results of bariatric surgical procedure with recognize to foodstuff, diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, orthopedic stipulations, and metabolism.
- Offers counsel on functional and educational education of the bariatric general practitioner, sufferer help teams, the significance of the multidisciplinary workforce, controlled care, allied health and wellbeing, laparoscopic suites and robotics, legal responsibility matters, and extra.
- Includes nutritional, drug administration, and different replacement non-operative approaches.
- Addresses the turning out to be prevalence of youth weight problems with a bankruptcy concentrating on adolescent bariatric surgical procedure patients.
With ninety one extra contributing specialists
Read Online or Download Surgical Management of Obesity PDF
Best gastroenterology books
This can be a 3-in-1 reference e-book. It offers an entire clinical dictionary masking 1000's of phrases and expressions with regards to acanthosis nigricans. It additionally provides broad lists of bibliographic citations. ultimately, it presents info to clients on the way to replace their wisdom utilizing numerous net assets.
This ebook conjoins the most recent advances at the use of endoscopy to diagnose, visual display unit, and deal with sufferers with inflammatory bowel affliction. Chapters comprise the old use of inflexible sigmoidoscopy, non-interventional imaging strategies, and the correlation of pathology and endoscopic visualization. this is often the 1st booklet to incorporate person chapters in gastroenterology, colorectal surgical procedure, and IBD texts, the preeminent position of endoscopic imaging within the administration of continual ulcerative colitis, and Crohn's sickness.
This ebook is concurrently a very good atlas and an in depth advisor to all features of video tablet endoscopy. historical past, process, functionality, interpreting, symptoms, contraindications, results, issues and substitute equipment are defined systematically by means of a wide panel of specialists. moreover, the complete diversity of small bowel ailments, from the typical to the infrequent, are defined and illustrated utilizing a different and exhaustive choice of tablet endoscopy pictures which are followed by way of corresponding photos of enteroscopy, surgical procedure, radiology and histology at any time when attainable.
In response to the result of stories on autoimmunity, the endocrine method, meals, steel metabolism and intestinal bacterial flowers, this quantity completely covers reports on practical correlation of the liver with the spleen, visceral fats, intestinal tract, and important fearful procedure. together with institutions with dysbiosis, nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) and hepatocellular carcinoma, it deals finished information on correlations of organs with the liver from simple and scientific viewpoints.
- Buchwald’s Atlas of Metabolic & Bariatric Surgical Techniques and Procedures: Expert Consult - Online and Print, 1e
- CURRENT Diagnosis & Treatment Gastroenterology, Hepatology, & Endoscopy
- Liver Transplantation: Update of Concepts and Practice, An Issue of Clinics in Liver Disease, 1e
- Intestinal Health
Extra info for Surgical Management of Obesity
Dietz WH: Breastfeeding may help prevent childhood overweight. JAMA 2001;285:2506-2507. 33. Newby PK, Muller D, Hallfrisch J, et al: Dietary patterns and changes in body mass index and waist circumference in adults. Am J Clin Nutr 2003;77:1417-1425. 34. Fairburn CG, Harrison PJ: Eating disorders. Lancet 2003;361:407-416. 35. Dingemans AE, Bruna MJ, van Furth EF: Binge eating disorder: a review. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 2002;26:299-307. 36. Stunkard AJ, Allison KC: Two forms of disordered eating in obesity: binge eating and night eating.
Human survival has been dependent on the capacity to overcome starvation. Scarcity of food, or starvation, induces migration, creating the foundation for a huntergatherer lifestyle. In such an environment, individuals with the capacity to store food efficiently in the form of fat fare better than those who cannot. Efficient storage of calories in the form of fat makes individuals “fit,” in the Darwinian sense, into an environment of scarcity. However, in the current Western dietary environment, many of these individuals suffer from morbid obesity.
Early adulthood is usually a period of marked reduction in physical activity, and that may cause weight gain. In the lifespan of women, pregnancies and menopause are critical periods for weight gain. The average weight gain after a pregnancy is almost 1 kg, although the range is wide. In many developing countries, consecutive pregnancies at short intervals often result in weight loss rather than weight gain. Menopausal women are prone to rapid weight gain. Other Individual Factors Promoting Weight Gain SMOKING CESSATION The health consequences of cigarette smoking are well established.
Surgical Management of Obesity by Henry Buchwald MD PhD, George S. M. Cowan Jr. MD, Walter J. Pories MD